Fire at 1460 Varnell Avenue

Comments: 0

The Roanoke Fire-EMS Department responded to a report of a structure fire on July 8, 2007 at 1460 Varnell Ave.

The call was received through the 9-1-1 Center at approximately 5:33 p.m. The response of two Engines, one Ladder truck, one Medic Unit, the EMS Captain and a Battalion Chief for a total of 13 personnel responded to the scene. The fire was out when crews arrived.

When crews arrived they found smoke on the second floor of the home. Upon further investigation, crews found an ashtray sitting on the edge of a bathroom vanity that had caused a fire in a trash can located beside the vanity. The trash can burned and caught the side of the vanity on fire. This melted the water line to the sink which extinguished the fire.

There were 2 people in the home when the fire started. They escaped without any injuries. There were no injuries to Fire-EMS personnel.

The fire started in the trash can located in the bathroom and was contained to the bathroom. The upstairs of the house sustained smoke and water damage and the ceiling and floor of the kitchen downstairs received water damage. The fire was caused by smoking materials.Damage estimates are approximately $11,000.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!