These past two weeks have been interesting. There have been a lot of comments that have offered more insight to the events which have consumed most of the Roanoke Firefighters lives. I have heard from a lot of firefighters as well as their wives and even some parents and children. The common theme is that we are on the right track. I think it can be summed up by this one comment which I will quote:
So this leaves a couple of questions:
- Are all of the Administrative positions needed?
- Can we really not afford any overtime?
- Did we finally mark out too much apparatus? (it is very common to have 2-3 engines, a ladder, and a medic truck or two out of service at any given time for whatever reason)
- Are they all up to date with SCBA Fit testing?
- Are they up to date on all of our operational training.
- Are they up to date on all of their training.
- Are they up to date enough to do the job correctly and safely.
I actually hope that everyone involved is up to date on all of the things that affect our jobs. I also hope that no corners were cut or procedures skipped. We are all held to a very high standard and we expect the same from anyone who might possibly get on the truck next to us. If you cannot understand why I bring this up on the first place, well most of the remaining firefighters who have not said a word up to now have finally joined the rest to say “What the hell is going on”.
The events of the past week or two have 250+ Firefighters scratching their heads wondering what the hell is going on. It appears as though certain people have continued to cut the fire department, were able to get City Council brainwashed into thinking it was no big deal, and then able to get a department head to say that nothing will change becoming the fall guy. I wish I had that kind of persuasion. With that kind of following and power of persuasion, I have one last thing to say….”don’t drink the cool-aid”.
As far as the morale of the firefighters and what they think, well I don’t know if it can get any worse. I hope it can’t and I hope it gets better, but it isn’t going to change in the current pace it is going.
I have more thoughts that I will get posted later in the week.